On August 23, 1940, Dallas Bishop Joseph Lynch granted permission to the Carmelites to open a seminary in Dallas. The property was purchased in 1946 and construction began in 1948 when Fr. Sebastian Valles was elected Provincial. On July 20, 1950, the first Mass was celebrated here by Fr. Andrew Palmero in the presence of Fr. Michael Okuroski, Br. Victor Kopycinski and the high school seminarians. Formal dedication (photo) was on Sunday, September 3, 1950. Canonical erection was given by the Sacred Congregation for Religious on March 31, 1951 and then by our General Definitory on April 6, 1951.
The Diocese of Dallas leased the property for the school years 1962‑66 while the Diocese built Holy Trinity Seminary. Mount Carmel Center then served as an inter‑provincial college seminary from 1966‑72.
In June 1974 Fathers Sam Anthony Morello and Mary Philip Wurth reopened the facility with the new purpose of it being an Informal Institute of Spirituality with the name of Mt. Carmel Center.
Today Mount Carmel Center continues to provide retreats and workshops for the Spiritual well-being of the Christian Catholic community of Dallas. We hope to carry forward the faith, courage and dedication of those who have gone before us in the service of the Church serving within the charism of the Discalced Carmelite Fathers. May the Glorious St. Joseph, Protector of the Order bless us with the spiritual and temporal means to carry out the mission begun by these determined and faith-filled men.
September 3rd 2010, Mount Carmel Center celebrated the 60th anniversary of its formal dedication.
Fr. Sebastain Valles and worker laying the foundation. (above)